Monday, March 27, 2006

Death to the Morning Report

Was anyone else appalled about the inclusion of that Morning Report song, in the new version of The Lion King? I was. I know it comes from the Broadway version, and I think that that song is absolutely brilliant in the stage adaptation, as were all the other new songs. But I just thought that in the film, it took away some of the brilliance of the original version.

Perhaps it is because I watched the original version so much, that I am irreversably biased. But by including the song, they cut out some lovely dialogue. The part where Zazu, off in his own funny world, asks Mufasa what he and Simba are doing, and Mufasa oh so casually remarks 'A pouncing lesson', and Zazu, still in his own world, smiling, says 'Oh very good'. And then there is that beat where he processes the information, and then flips out. It was hilarious! Well I thought so anyway. I miss it.

Also, any devout fan could see that the animation was completely different, Simba looked oddly thin and weird...

Besides the song being too short to be a good song, they also took away a scene which was very important. The most dramatic part in the whole film, is the part where Mufasa is killed, and Simba finds his body. No other Disney film has ever had a scene quite so emotional, not even Bambi. So because of this, the father/son relationship and bonding, is very very important in the film. Especially when you consider the fact that it is a short film and Mufasa's death happens something like just over half an hour in, it means that they really really do not have much time in order to establish the closeness between Mufasa and Simba, and that closeness is so important, for making the death scene all the more upsetting.

And they took out one of the best father son bonding scenes and replaced it with an annoying much abbreviated far too upbeat cheesey song. Bah. Humbug. Bah humbug I say. That scene was important on a much larger scale than the sheer annoyance that it brought!

I was annoyed at the fact that, on the dvd, the default version of the film is the new one with that damned song in it, and original version is the one that you have to search and alter to get. And it's in an obscure place. It gives the impression that the original one is the inferior one. I think it should be the other way round.

I have spoke, thus shall it be. Or something. I don't know...

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I must totally agree with the Morning Report assessment. It was amusing onstage, but I wouldn't want to see it onscreen. *shudder* Then again, I was so enthralled by the stage version that they probably could have sung "It's A Small World After All" and as long as they were in costume and moving around, I would have been okay with it.

Then again... maybe not.

~bookwyrm

5:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home