Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Mother vs Technology III

Today my mother came to me for help. She had been sent a website in the post and wanted to know how to make it appear on the computer.

Me: "You just need to type it into the box." (here I thought my work was complete and turned back to my book. Oh foolish Raevyn, when will you learn)

Mum: "What, the whole thing?"

Me: "Yes."

Mum: "But it’s huge!"

Me: "I am afraid this is the only way."

Mum: *sigh* *taptaptaptaptaptap*

(pause)

Mum: "There’s only a big list of blue lines. Do I press the first one?"

Me: "Huh?” *looks* (turns out Mum had typed the address into the Sky search engine.) “No Mum. I meant that big box at the top left of the screen. You need to type it in there."

Mum: "All of it?"

Me: "Yes."

Mum: "Again?"

Me: "Yes."

Mum: *bigger sigh* *taptaptaptaptaptap*

(pause)

Mum: "The big blue list has come up again! And it says domain not found!"

Me: "..huh?" *goes to look* (Mum has typed it into the Google searchbar at the top right of the screen)

(pause)

Me: "Uh, Mum? I meant the big box on the top left of the screen. Can you see it? It’s next to the Google searchbar?"

Mum: "Where?"

Me: *points* "There."

Mum: "But it’s full of writing."

Me: "Yes. But that is where you need to put it."

Mum: "You mean I have to type it out again?"

Me: "Yes."

Mum: "All of it?"

Me: "Yes."

Mum: "Again??"

Me: "Yes."

Mum: *biggest sigh yet*

(pause)

Mum: "Do I delete all this writing first?"

Me: “NO YOU WRITE ON TOP OF IT LIKE TRACING PAPER” (not really) "Yes."

Mum: *tuts* *taptaptaptaptaptaptaptap*

(pause)

Mum: "I’ve done it and nothing’s happened."

Me: "Huh?" *goes to look* "..did you press enter?"

Mum: "No."

Me: "You need to press enter."

Mum: "Where’s that?"

Me: *is about to snatch the computer away by force*

Mum: "Oh wait, there it is." *tap*

(pause)

Mum: "No wait, that’s space."

Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH (on the inside of my head)

Mum: "Maybe if I don’t include the backwards slashes?"

Me: *is broken.*

Eventually we got the webpage up.

Mum: "It’s all about knowing, isn’t it?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home